Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Abominable "No" Mom

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like all you do is say no? I'm in that place right now, and I know that it's just a matter of Joe-Henry (and his dad) testing my boundaries, to see where mom/wife ends and chaos begins, but honestly it wears me out. With my husband, it's simply a matter of talking things out, and that's actually a very good thing, but with Joe-Henry, I feel like he puts me in a position where I can't help but be the boring, awful, stern mom who has way too many rules.

And yes, I know he'll thank me for it someday. And no, the rules don't change because I'm tired and want a break.
But damn. It does get monotonous. I hear myself, and think - "loosen up", but I can't, because I think he needs the no's, he's deliberately going to the place where he knows the no's are, and specifically nosing for the no's. (sorry - I couldn't stop myself).

I'm looking for ways to fit some more "yes"es (yes's?) into our time together. But until then, here we are. "No Mom's" land.

I'll let you know if I get out.

No comments: