Tuesday, February 20, 2007

going home

We've been on a little vacation. We came to Carpinteria, CA to visit Joe-Henry's Grandma and Grandpa (and assorted other family and friends), and bask in the weather. Well, I don't want to say too much, because I know how cold it's been in other parts of the country, but...

This weather has been perfect. And this light. The February light in Central California is spectacular. The colors are so vibrant it's like being on mushrooms (not that I'd know anything about that, Joe-Henry, if you happen to read this later in your teen years, say, and are wondering why you can't do drugs because your mom did), and the air smelled like Eucalyptus and the ocean and campfires.

It's always hard to leave. Joe-Henry has such a bond with his Grandparents, and they love him dearly, and I always feel like the Nazi in "Sophie's Choice". But I know we'll see them again soon. And believe it or not, I'm looking forward to home.
Even though at home, there is rain, and laundry and runny cat poop, there is also our little family unit. My hardworking husband, who came down for only two days and went back early to go to work; our diabetic cat and the other one, the one that sounds like Darth Vader and shits on the rug; and there's our little Grandma house that catches the light like a crystal hanging in a window; there is our routine - school, volunteer work, my life.

I'm grateful for all of it. The vacation, and the return trip. Home.

2 comments:

Maya said...

Hi! I saw your comment at Fussy's - Carp is my hometown (born there, literally) so I'm glad to see you enjoyed yourself and got the good weather, plus a bonus Fussy sighting!

anniemcq said...

Thanks! Ohhhhh, it's hard to be home. My six year old misses his G&G so much, and it's raining here. We love Carp too. My husband has been going there to camp since he was a kid, and we got married there. If ONLY we could afford to live there! It's my favorite place in the world, tied with Paris.

And I can't believe that I saw Mrs. Kennedy! I was too verklempt to say anything. It's funny, I lived in Hollywood for years and saw famous people almost every day, but I guess I must be off my game. Plus, she looked so peaceful sitting there, reading her book. I didn't want to break the spell. Thanks for dropping by! Enjoy S.B., it's Paradise!