Thursday, July 26, 2007

Nirvana


Cue the Heavenly Choir.

It's here. Finally.

After waiting for a year and three months and two days, the invasion of the Swedes has hit Portland.

What did I purchase you ask? Oh, I spent large, friends, I spent LARGE.

A trash can for my office. Because I'm tired of leaving my trash on the floor and then realizing that no one will clean it up for me.
A cheese grater for my sister, as well as a gift certificate for her birthday tomorrow.
A little thing for my mother-in-law that I can't tell you about in case she reads my blog.
And not one, but TWO little rugs to put over the carpet where Lulu routinely takes a crap every morning.
When she shits on it (and she will) I can just throw it in the wash, and put that other one down. just. like. that.

Sa-WHEET.

Where was Joe-Henry during all this capitalistic hedonism? Why he was in Smaland(does anyone know where the umlauts are on the qwerty keyboard?) playing amidst the other urchins in the trees that hung from the ceiling and the large wooden shoes, and I walked away with only a beeper to keep me company. It didn't tug at my shirt, or whine about being hungry, but I got used to it.

And there were meatballs and ice cream cones to celebrate at the end.

Ikea. The only big box store that doesn't give me hot flashes. Ahhhhhhhhh......

5 comments:

suttonhoo said...

what -- no chocolate? no lingon berry jam? no swedish meatballs?

but yes, ohhhhhhhhhh yes: Ikea. (stress it hard on the first syllable to sound like a Swede, of course. I can't go there because my Grama, the good Norwegian, would disown me. She's still holding a grudge.)

p.s. getcher umlauts here -- along with other html ascii goodness -- you'll need to use funky character string combos in html, but it'll get 'er done.

anniemcq said...

Hey, I'M Norwegian! I go there. My Dad was the original Stubborn Norwegian, and he dated a lovely Swede. He made me try Lutefisk, for cripes' sake!
Maybe I'm just rebelling, but I think it's time the Norwegians and the Swedes put down their pickled herring forks and just tried to get along. Set an example for the rest of the world.

suttonhoo said...

oh dear -- I meant can't *pronounce* it that way -- but I go to Ikea. I'm all over Ikea. (sorry. I was terribly unclear. ;)

p.s. stopped by to share this »

anniemcq said...

An IKEA Bridal Suite?! A family room?!

I am SO going to Sweden!

suttonhoo said...

p.p.s. my favorite movie re Norwegian/Swedish relations -- Kitchen Stories »