Friday, August 17, 2007

The Forecast for Today

I am a technical nincompoop. So it's a good thing that I'm married to a man who loves nothing more than to curl up with a frosty O'Douls and read manuals. For fun. I have been trying for a couple weeks to make it past page two of my new camera manual, and let me say, Nikon needs to take into account that some of their customers need more help than others, and they could at least put in some kind of narrative, for the love of Mike.

Anyhoo, all this to say, yesterday JH and I went to Costco, where I was NOT going to buy him anything, because all he does is get stuff that he doesn't use and it fills up our house and it overflows until I go "AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHKKKKKK!" and stomp around throwing stuff in giant garbage bags to haul to Goodwill to be appreciated by children who have nothing but rocks to play with for fun. Wow. I digress yet again. I'm getting really good at this....

SO, we're taking a short cut through Costco from the batteries to the Ranch Dressing, when I see these giant maps. I had been thinking about getting him some big maps for his giant yellow wall above his bed, because a) I want to absorb some geographical knowledge before he starts school so that I'm not called into the principal's office and asked to please desist from helping him with his homework ever again, and b) maps are pretty. So I stop to look at the maps, and JH looks up at me from the cart with a pleading look in his eyes, and I realize I forgot to put on my face of steel, so the maps go into the cart. I rationalized it by saying it's not a toy. It's not, and it looks great on his giant yellow wall. Dammit.

He was so excited about his map, oh sweet GEEKDOM, he was excited! Because do you know what he wanted to do more than anything when we got home? See how far it is from Vancouver to Grandmas? Find out where China is, where they make all those child-killing toys? NO! He wants to do the WEATHER! So I put the map up above his bed, and last night after dinner and a walk, we got the complete forecast. And because I'm a brilliant multi-tasker, I thought, "I'll tape this and upload it for my blog, so that I won't have to write anything, because me no have words." I did, and the forecast is very HOT. It's a scorcher in Russia and Phoenix, but mild throughout the rest of the world, except for someplace called "Binky" near the Marshall Islands, where it's very warm and very tiny and they give out dirty looks if you giggle silently at thier name.

OH, and the reason I started this blog saying that I am a technical nincompoop? Because, while I managed to tape it, I cannot get it uploaded to the internet-o-sphere. I've tried and tried, and in fact in the time I've taken to write this, I've been having a race on my computer between Safari & Firefox to see who will upload it the fastest. Answer: they both are taking too long.

So you are subjected to this post instead.

Check back later to see if I get it up. (Yeah, that's what HE said)

Or to see if I have thrown my laptop out the window.

Edit: The Genius woke up and talked me through my idiocy. Wooohoooo! My laptop, my window and my sanity are safe!

7 comments:

Lolabola* said...

For all of our sakes (yours too), I hope it works out!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet GEEKDOM.

Loved that. Oh lord, our boys are two peas in a pod.

Donna said...

I have but one question for your incredibly SMART meteorologist in training? (Forgive me for exposing that intelligent child to the following idiocy, but I just HAVE to since I am from Topeka.)

Mr. Joe Henry, is it hot in Topeka?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHW3ODFhvo

anniemcq said...

Lola - wear a coat today, and don't forget your bumbershoot!

Tracey - Yes. Yes I know. Can Bailey cover the sports? Because we're not real sports fans around here, and the coverage is noticeably lacking.

Donna - That was soooo funny. Joe-Henry laughed so hard he almost wet himself. We watched it about ten times. Thanks!

suttonhoo said...

I love that the global mean hovers somewhere between 65 and 97 degrees no matter where you are in the world, UNTIL you get to the U.S. where it's 20 degrees UNLESS you're in Phoenix where it's 300.

yay maps! yay weather reports! yay beautiful mothers who buy maps for brilliant boys who give weather reports! yay geniuses!

let's see, where did I laugh the hardest: when J-H gradually elevated Phoenix, or when you made that funny zoom sound when he turned around and directed the camera? you big faker. oh sweet lord I love I you guys to pieces.

anniemcq said...

Ms. Hoo:
That was Charley making the zoom sound, because he was operating the "camera" by holding a plastic light saber on his shoulder. When he zoomed, the saber got longer. He's very committed to his part of the weather report.

Lolabola* said...

16 degrees in Canada! he's actually not that far off. (we'll just say he knows that it's Celsius up here)