Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sturdy Love

Last night, Joe-Henry was coughing up a lung, that horrible, deep, wracking, wet cough, when I went in with my bottle of pink medicine. He would rather get hit by a bus, eaten by a dinosaur, get poked in the eye with a nasty eye-poking stick or cough all night long than take that medicine. He's never even tried it, but he knows it tastes like "burning fire".

But I am the mother, and I will not be moved, and he must. He MUST. So he wails and flails, and tells me he hates it, and I am a "mean mom", and then, he DOES. He opens his mouth, his face red with anger and effort, his cheeks wet with tears. There is the requisite "YUCK", and the thrashing of sheets, and "Why are you so MEAN?!" And after a few minutes of sniffling, he settles down again, as I smooth his covers and rub his back. It's quiet again, no coughing, no tears, just his arm around my neck, his warm hand on my cheek.

"Mom, you and Dad love me so good. Your love is as sturdy as the Great Wall of China".

And with that, we both went to sleep.

7 comments:

I, Rodius said...

Seriously? That kid isn't real, is he? Tell me you made him up. Real or not, he's one hell of a creation.

anniemcq said...

I couldn't make it up if I tried.

suttonhoo said...

solid.

and hey -- didya see this bit about buckwheat honey being more effective than cough syrup?

beware the raw stuff of course -- that's bad for babies...

Lisa L said...

Ug..cough mixture. I hope he feels lots better. (((JH)))) What a really beautiful thing for him to have said..good job, mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh c'mon.

How can your heart not melt into a billion million pieces after that?

J-H slays me. Tell him the pretty substitute teacher from Texas thinks he's the coolest kid EVER.

Donna said...

The McQ Book of Love
by "That" Mom

Chapter 1: Sexy Love
Chapter 2: Sturdy Love
Chapter 3: TBA?

We just spent three days of our week battling strep throat and liquid amoxicillin, blech! Hope JH feels better soon.

LTYM said...

Oh, my gosh, the kid should be writing greeting cards. Or love songs.

Thank you for the wonderful comment on my blog. I'm always thrilled when people are laughing WITH me.

Best,
Wendi Aarons