Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Joy, Wonder, Delight.


I was getting nervous for the Holiday Season this year, because I thought it might be the year that JH figures it out. I mean, we've already had our first conversation about sex (he asked, and I kept it brief and honest and then he asked if Daddy and I do that and if it's when he's asleep and I said "mind your own beeswax". ). So I figured that this year for sure he'd be asking about Santa.

I was right. And I didn't lie about it, I just said "well, what do you think?" He hemmed and hawed and went on about why do some of his presents have bar codes, etc. But tonight, we looked at this magical book together. Santa brought it to him last year, and he was so overwhelmed with everything else that it got overlooked. But tonight, oh my. We spent a good twenty minutes on the first two pages alone. He was telling me that Santa has a room of his own where he can go and have his own private feelings, even cry if he needs to. (Can you imagine Santa crying?!) I asked why he thought Santa might need to cry, and he said "well, if someone has to get put on the naughty list. He's a person like anyone else. Even though he never dies. But he still can get sad sometimes." Then he went on to tell me that Mrs. Claus was the best person on earth, even more than Santa because she has to make sure he's okay and she's really nice. "She'd have to be. Santa wouldn't have married a mean woman!"

He wants to go see Santa now. And I don't think he wants to ask for toys as much as check in and make sure Santa's okay and ask him questions about how the mail gets to the North Pole, and find out what makes him tick.

I love him so much. His innocence and wonder amaze me. And he makes me feel like an elf.

6 comments:

karigee said...

Your little boy is almost enough to make me believe again.

Alycia said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I, Rodius said...

That's sweet. Another year of magic.

Robin Amos Kahn said...

Don't you all need to come to NY soon? I miss you all and Joe-Henry is amazing.

Stacey J. Warner said...

very sweet...we miss you! we might be up on the northwest for christmas...

please let us know if you come down this way.

much love

Lisa L said...

sigh. i wish i coulda been a mommy like you annie! your kid is amazing. and he feels so safe to express it all!